Sunday, July 13, 2008

Watching things evolve..

I'm finding it interesting to watch myself "evolve" the Cacheboy roadmap over time. Take the previous two cacheboy-users posts: first I thought Cacheboy-1.4 will get the IPv6 enabled core, but after doing the latest set of changes I've decided the best thing to do is to get Cacheboy-1.4 out with the current code layout, sort out whatever bugs crept in, then build the IPv6 enabled core in Cacheboy-1.5 and IPv6 client-side support in Cacheboy-1.6.

I have a general idea where I'd like to take things and I have a specific set of goals in mind along the way, but everything is still evolving with time. Its an interesting experience - there are dozens of areas in the codebase which I'd like to spend time working on but I have to keep the medium and long-term project goals in mind.

Which isn't to say I won't get distracted from time to time and break out a test branch to play with something, like one of the branches playing around with memory allocation overheads. I just treat that, like the last 10 or so years of experimenting with the codebase, as a way to get more of an idea what work needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment