Sunday, January 9, 2011

What am I going to do now?

For those who have been following my life elsewhere on the internet, I have struggled for a number of years to finish an undergraduate degree. I've been studying on and off since 2002 and I'm finally two units away from finishing this Bachelor of Arts.

Which now raises a question - what am I going to do next?

I'd like to spend more time studying - but after spending 9 years on and off at this undergraduate degree, I can't help but wonder if I'm doing it because I'm scared of not studying. On the flip side, I think now that I finally understand how to "be" a student and achieve excellent results, I should capitalise on this whilst I'm in that mindset.

I'll see if I get into Linguistics Honours and try to get into something which I can use my psychology and computing skills with as well as straight linguistics.

I'm enjoying creative writing - but I definitely need a lot more practice with that.

I'm still enjoying working on CDN and HTTP/proxy stuff in general; I'm getting a lot of enjoyment hacking on the FreeBSD 802.11 stack and making Atheros devices work a little better; I really like working on embedded hardware. The question is whether I can find some more work in that area whilst I'm in Perth.

Time will tell. I have 6 more months to mull over that whilst focusing primarily on finishing my degree. I'm going to try and finish it on a high note - High Distinctions if possible.

2 comments:

  1. good luck, adrian.

    I started working on proxy/cache last year and was surprised with your considerable contribution to squid and your amazing effort on lusca/cacheboy.

    I will keep learning what you shared and wish you a great future.

    ReplyDelete